6 Ways to Gracefully Handle an Ex Run-In
Accidentally running into your ex can be surprising, startling and nerve-wracking, but it’s also a bittersweet way to take you back to the best and worst moments of your relationship in less than a nanosecond. Yes, this is the inevitable run-in that we all dread, but when that happens, don’t lose your composure. Gather all your guts, hold your head high and practise the following tips.
- Don’t Feel Obliged to Interact With Him. If your relationship ended badly, then you’re under no obligation to interact or even greet him with a casual ‘hello’. If he cheated on you, broke off your engagement or made you experience far worse things, do yourself a huge favour and just walk away.
- Avoid Trying Too Hard in Your Run-In. Trying too hard is something that you should avoid doing, especially if he’s with his new girl. Never be the two-faced gal and air-kiss her cheek while dishing out details about your new dude, too. Instead, be your usual and cheerful self when chatting with him.
- Anticipate That He Might Not Be Ready to Chat. Just because you’re prepared for this impromptu run-in doesn’t mean that he is, too. So prepare yourself for the possibility that he might rebuff you by the time you approach him. It will definitely sting, but at least you’ve steeled yourself enough for his cold shoulder.
- Turn the Conversation in Your Favour. Talking about current love affairs, family members, and money are some of the touchy topics that you should avoid chatting about during your first run-in. Instead, casually talk about your upcoming vacation, the weather, or the current affairs. That way, you won’t make your run-in an even more awkward encounter for both of you.
- Keep Your Run-In Simple and Short. The best way to gracefully handle an impromptu meeting with your ex is to keep it simple and short. Think of some natural and quick ways on how you can possibly end your conversation. Remember, the longer you drag out your conversation, the more chances you’ll be crossing into a sensitive topic.
- Celebrate a Well-Done Run-In. Once you’ve parted ways, immediately call up your girlfriends to dish out all the details of your run-in: how he looked, who he was with, and what you talked about while getting a pat at the back for coolly surviving your most dreaded run-in.
Meeting your ex for the first time again can put you to an extremely awkward situation, but there’s no need to feel completely stressed out. Just keep your cool, and avoid sounding all bitter about your past relationship. Remember, he’s still the guy that once brought the butterflies in your stomach.